North Dakota LLC Registration
Forming a North Dakota LLC will protect your personal assets from business-related debts. In short, when establishing a North Dakota LLC you are creating a legal entity that’s separate from you, the business owner.
Our North Dakota LLC formation package is full of everything you need to form your new business. Our affordable plan includes instant registered agent service, an online account to manage important documents, a free operating agreement template, and North Dakota Business Presence (website, email, phone, and more). Sign up to form your North Dakota LLC today!
Begin Your North Dakota LLC
Our affordable LLC Formation Package will give you access to our local expert agents who understand all the ins and outs of North Dakota’s business regulations. For $100 plus state fees we will form your LLC and give your new business all the client support you’ll need, worry-free.
Here’s some of the specifics:
- Annual Report reminders so you don’t miss any state deadlines.
- LLC processing that’s done fast and accurately the first time.
- A free Operating Agreement template that will help organize your business.
- Professional North Dakota LLC Formation service from local experts.
- Privacy protection. Use our address on formation documents instead of yours.
- One year of North Dakota Registered Agent Services.
- An online account to keep track of state and legal documents.
- Option to add other business services, like our Trade Name Service, inside your client account for only $125 plus state fees.
- A domain name of your choosing (free for one year).
- Open-source website, SSL, email and phone service, all free for 90 days.
How to Form a North Dakota LLC
We’d love to help you form your North Dakota LLC. However, we understand if you wanted to file the formation documents yourself. Here’s what you need to do to start a North Dakota LLC:
Name Your North Dakota LLC
Before you can form a North Dakota LLC, you need a name. But, naming a business requires a lot of thought and consideration. Plus, there’s a few state rules (ND Cent. Code § 10-32.1-11) you’ll need to follow. Your North Dakota LLC name must:
- Be distinct, meaning it can’t be the same or too similar to an existing North Dakota business name.
- Include a business identifier such as “LLC” or “Limited Liability Company.”
If you already have a business name in mind, but are waiting to file your Articles of Organization, you can file a Reserved Name Application with the Secretary of State. Filing this form will reserve your chosen business name for up to 120 days. A name reservation costs $10 and can be filed online through North Dakota’s FirstStop.
Or, if you’re ready to form your North Dakota LLC, but want to make sure your chosen name is available, you can search the North Dakota Business Database.
File Articles of Organization
To form a North Dakota LLC, you must file Articles of Organization with the North Dakota Secretary of State. The state filing fee is $135.
When completing the Articles of Organization, make sure you include the following information:
- Name reservation. Indicate if you’ve previously reserved a business name.
- Name of your LLC. Must include “LLC” as an identifier.
- Principal address. Must be a physical address.
- Mailing address. This can be a P.O. Box.
- Registered agent information.
- Formation date. Choose “when filed with the Secretary of State”. Or indicate a future date (up to 90 days) if you want to delay the start of your LLC.
- Existence. Choose “indefinite” or list the date your LLC will expire.
- Business purpose.
- Designation of LLC. Choose “no designation”, unless your LLC is a series LLC.
- Organizers. Name of organizer(s) and mailing address.
You’ll need to head to the North Dakota Secretary of State website to create an online account. Once you’ve filled out the online form, you can either print out the form and mail it into the Secretary of State, or submit the form through the online portal.
Choose a Registered Agent
Every North Dakota LLC must have a registered agent. The registered agent must be listed on the Articles of Organization to receive legal documents for the company, including service of process if a lawsuit has been filed. Also, your North Dakota registered agent must be available during regular business hours to accept important mail.
Since you have more to do in life than be in your office, you can hire us to serve as your North Dakota registered agent. Not to mention, as a local registered agent company, we’ll list our address on the public record, not yours. This increases your level of privacy, keeping your personal information private and secure.
Get an EIN
An EIN is the nine-digit number assigned to you by the IRS. This will be the number that the IRS uses to identify your business on tax documents. An EIN will help maintain your liability protection, and prevents you from having to give potential vendors your social security number.
Create a North Dakota Operating Agreement
Although, not required by the state, an operating agreement can help you define the rules and structure of your North Dakota LLC. This level of organization will help your business be a success. Some particulars you can include are your management hierarchy, ownership percentages, business policies, and procedures.
Our LLC Formation Package will help you organize your business, whether it is a single-member or multi-member LLC. You will have access to easy to use templates that will guide you through the process of organizing your operating agreement.
North Dakota LLC FAQs
Do I need to file a North Dakota Annual Report?
Yes. North Dakota LLCs are required to file an annual report every year. Filing your annual report ensures that the state has up-to-date contact information for your business. Your report will be due by November 15th each year and costs $50 to file. You can file your annual report through the North Dakota FirstStop.
How long does it take to form a North Dakota LLC?
Forming a North Dakota LLC can take up to four weeks from the time the Secretary of State has received and processed the business documents.
What if I need to amend my North Dakota LLC’s articles of organization?
When your North Dakota LLC is farther along, you might want to alter the structure of certain aspects of your business. Perhaps you’ll want to make changes to the management structure, or decide to change the entity’s name. If so, the members of your LLC must vote on any amendments and once agreed upon, file an amendment ($50) with the Secretary of State. You could also choose to make updates when you file your annual report. More information can be found at ND Cent. Code § 10-32.1-21
Do I need a bank account?
No, but you really should have one. A bank account for your North Dakota LLC will help you maintain your limited liability protection. Without a separate bank account for your LLC you could be held personally liable for company debts.